The Gastroenterology Fellowship Program trains its fellows become expert, caring gastroenterologists. The three-year, fully accredited fellowship program has nine fellows and six Board-certified faculty. The fellows are trained in all aspects of evaluation and therapy. The faculty and fellows are actively involved in multiple research clinical trials and regularly publish scholarly work in peer-reviewed journals and present at national and international meetings.
The Brooklyn Hospital Center is the sponsoring hospital of the Gastroenterology Fellowship Program, affiliated with Weill-Cornell Medical College .
Click here to learn more about our Gastroenterology faculty
Fellows and Faculty
|Anju Malieckal, MD|
|Vani Paleti, MD|
|Carmen Stanca, MD|
|Muhammad Asif Virk, MD|
|Haris Papafragakakis, MD|
|Taruna Bhatia, MD|
|Hernan Lopez-Morra, MD|
|Sreedevi Ataluri, MD|
|Mel Ona, MD|
St. Barnabas Hospital
Lutheran Medical Center
Columbia University Medical Center
How to Apply
The Hospital Center GI Fellowship Program participates in the
Medical Specialties Matching Program at the National Resident Matching
Program (NRMP) www.nrmp.org .
Click on specialty match (Gastroenterology) or call 202-828-0413
for more information.
Applicants should have completed three years of
training in Internal Medicine in the United States by the time they
enter the fellowship training program.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Fellows are provided with an extensive and diverse experience in clinical gastroenterology, endoscopy and hepatology.
- Fellows rotate one month each in First and Second Year at Columbia University Hospital for transplant hepatology training. Busy hepatology clinics at participating hospitals provide a strong hepatology experience.
- Second and Third Year fellows gain experience in ERCP, EUS, EMR and other interventional endoscopy procedures. Most graduating fellows are performing these procedures in their practice.
- Third-Year fellows are given the opportunity to take an elective rotation for one month. Fellows have chosen the University of Chicago for IBD, Beth Israel Hospital and Weill-Cornell Medical Center in New York for additional interventional endoscopy training.
- The core lectures have been expanded to include radiology, pathology, nuclear medicine and lectures by leading experts from across the country.
- Ongoing clinical research projects have resulted in multiple publications , abstracts and awards at national and international conferences. The fellows have ownership of their projects with full responsibility for planning and execution with supervision from faculty. Projects include outcomes research focusing on racial differences, quality improvement, education and new technology in endoscopy.
- For example, collaboration with the University of Missouri, Department of Pharmacology includes on-going mass spectrometry and MALDI analysis of tissue in colon cancer. An IBD project received a peer-reviewed grant from Proctor and Gamble in 2007.
- Past fellows are practicing in both academic and private practice settings. One fellow was accepted at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles for a Fourth Year IBD Fellowship and one fellow was accepted at the Pancreas and Biliary Center at St Vincent’s Hospital in New York for a Fourth Year Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship.
240 Willoughby Street, Suite 4B
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Learn more about Gastroenterology at The Brooklyn Hospital Center.
Pascal Ferreira, Fellowship Coordinator
Sury Anand, MD, Director of Endoscopy, Program Director
Mahesh Krishnaiah, MD, Associate Program Director
Mojdeh Momeni, MD, Associate Program Director
Sushil Duddempudi, MD, Director of Interventional Endoscopy and Associate Program Director
Faculty and Fellows
Sury Anand, M.D.
Hayden Briggs, M.D.
Thomas Izquierdo, M.D.
Abraham Jelin, M.D. (Pediatrics)
George Jhagroo, M.D.
Mahesh Krishnaiah, M.D.
Mojdeh Momeni, M.D.
Madhavi Reddy, M.D.
Scott Fink, M.D. (Hepatology)
Saphwat Eskaros (3rd year)
Vinod Kurupath (3rd year)
Nan Sandar (3rd year)
Malvinderjit Singh (3rd year)
Amir Butt (2nd year)
Srinivas Cheruvu (1st year)
Vishal Ghevariya (1st year)
Ghulam Mujtaba (1st year)
Nithan Narendra (1st year)ShareThis