Or call 1-833-TBHC-NOW (833-824-2669)
Allergists in Brooklyn, NY
The Division of Allergy and Immunology offers a broad range of diagnostic and treatment options in allergies and immunologic diseases.
An allergy is an exaggerated immune response or reaction to substances that are generally not harmful. Allergies are relatively common. Both genetics and environmental factors play a role. The immune response is oversensitive in a person with allergies. When the body recognizes an allergen, it releases chemicals such as histamines that fight off the allergen. This causes itching, swelling, mucus production, muscle spasms, hives, rashes and other symptoms that vary from person to person.
Common allergens include pollen, mold, pet dander and dust. Food and drug allergies are common. Allergic reactions can also be caused by insect bites, jewelry, cosmetics, spices and other substances.
Common allergy symptoms treated:
- Breathing problems (coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath)
- Burning, tearing, itchy eyes and conjunctivitis (red, swollen eyes)
- Diarrhea, headache, runny nose
- Itching of the nose, mouth, throat, skin or any other area
- Skin rashes and hives
- Stomach cramps or vomiting