The Division of Hematology/Oncology provides expert care and culturally sensitive service for patients with all types of cancers (oncology) and blood disorders (hematology). We have recruited some of the world’s best and brightest board-certified hematologists, medical oncologists and oncology-certified nursing staff. Moreover, as an academic affiliate of the top-ranked Mount Sinai Health System, we are able to provide complete and integrated care for the full range of challenging cases.
Our culture of care benefits patients and families first.
Given our mandate to serve the diverse people and cultures of Brooklyn, our providers are similarly sensitive to the diverse needs of our patients. Our equal emphasis on patient care and the patient experience means that our ‘culture of care’ is informed by our patients’ voices, and we involve patients and their families in care decisions as part of our standard practice.
We focus exclusively on cancer, blood disorders and related diseases.
All our clinicians — radiologists, pathologists, medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists and nursing staff — have deep experience treating your particular type of disease. Importantly, our multidisciplinary team approach to cancer care ensures that you will receive the combination of treatments as part of a complete and integrated care plan that is best for you.
Solid Cancer Types Treated
- Breast cancer
- Thoracic (lung) cancers
- Cutaneous (skin) cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancers (colon, rectal, pancreatic, esophageal, stomach, anal and liver)
- Genitourinary cancers (prostate, kidney, bladder, adrenal and testicular)
- Gynecologic cancers
- Head and neck cancers
- Brain cancers
- Sarcoma and bone cancers
Blood Cancers and Blood Disorders Treated
- Multiple myeloma and Waldenström's macroglobulinemia
- Anemia and other red blood cell disorders (iron deficiency anemia, anemia of chronic disease, vitamin B12 deficiency, sickle cell anemia and thalassemia)
- Coagulation and thrombosis disorders (hemophilia, von Willibrand's disease factor V Leiden and antiphospholipid syndrome)
- White blood cell disorders (neutropenia and leukocytosis)
- Platelet disorders (thrombocytopenia (ITP and TTP) and thrombocytosis
- Myeloproliferative disorders (polycythemia vera, essential thrombocytosis, thrombocythemia, chronic myelogenous leukemia and primary myelofibrosis)
- Bone marrow failure disorders (aplastic anemia, myelodysplasia and paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria)
- Iron metabolism disorders (hemochromatosis and porphyria)
- Plasma cells and antibody production disorders (benign monoclonal gammopathy, cryoglobulinemia and amyloidosis)
Imaging services (radiology/nuclear medicine)
- CT scan
- Digital radiography
- PET/CT scan
- Nuclear medicine
- Interventional radiology specimen biopsy collection/IV/central line access
Integrated Treatment and Specialty services:
- Radiation oncology
- Interventional radiology
- Surgical oncology
- Tumor molecular and genomic profiling
- Cancer genetics and prevention
- Adult palliative care
- Adult psychosocial care
- Molecular targeted therapy
- Oncology hospital medicine (inpatient care at TBHC)
All infusion-based treatments take place in a dedicated, private area.