The Division of Hematology and Oncology at The Brooklyn Hospital Center offers patients state-of-the-art cancer care from board certified Hematologists and Medical Oncologists, and oncology-certified nursing staff.
Common Cancer Diagnostic Options at The Brooklyn Hospital Center
- breast exam
- biopsy the tumor or bone marrow
- order blood tests
- chest x-ray, CT, MRI scan or liver function test depending on form of cancer.
Cancer Treatment at The Brooklyn Hospital Center
Treatment varies based on the type of cancer and the stage. If the cancer is confined to one location and has not spread, the most common treatment approach is surgery. If the tumor has spread, the options for treatment include radiation, chemotherapy or both. Some cancers require a combination of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
- Full spectrum cancer treatment, from adult solid tumors and hematological malignancies to benign hematological disorders.
- Coordinated, multi-modal care that includes on-staff and volunteer physicians, and health specialists from numerous practice areas.
- Best-in-breed chemotherapy infusion chairs located in a pleasant environment overlooking Fort Greene Park. Nutritious, appealing meals are offered to patients during infusion sessions without charge.