Senior Director, Perioperative Nursing Services
With approximately 11,000 surgical procedures performed each year, The Brooklyn Hospital Center requires a team of highly trained, highly efficient perioperative nurses to care for patients before, during and after their surgeries. This remarkable team provides care in these areas:
- Booking, where surgical cases are scheduled.
- Pre-Surgical Testing (PST), where patients are sent prior to the day of surgery to have all work-ups completed.
- Day Surgery, where on the day of surgery, after registration, patients are seen here by perioperative nurses for a preoperative assessment before being moved to the surgical holding area.
- Main Operating Room (OR)/Cystoscopy/Endoscopy, there are eight operating rooms, three cystoscopy rooms and three endoscopy rooms in use each day.
- Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), TBHC’s 13-bay recovery area for both in-house and same-day surgical patients.
- Central Sterile, where perioperative nurses handle all decontamination, processing and sterilization of surgical instrumentation, as well as certain implants.
Currently, the Senior Director oversees 122 staff members who serve on approximately 11,000 cases per year, including robotic surgery. Day Surgery has received many awards regarding patient satisfaction, the most recent being the Press Ganey Most Improved Patient Satisfaction Score for the first quarter of 2019. In 2018, TBHC received full accreditation by MBSAQIP as a Comprehensive Bariatric Center.
In 2017, Perioperative Services successfully implemented the ERAS Protocol (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery) for colon and bariatric patients. The perioperative team successfully launched TBHC’s Robotics Program in 2017, with surgical services including thoracic, urology, general and gynecology, to date. Also, with the addition of new orthopaedic surgeons, TBHC’s perioperative nurses now serve on more complex orthopaedic and fracture cases, as well as increasing volume in total joint hip and knee replacements.