The Brooklyn Hospital's Breast Imaging Center is dedicated to the prevention, early detection, and treatment of breast cancer. The Center is staffed with an outstanding team of professionals, all of whom have advanced training in breast health. They utilize state-of-the-art technology to provide the highest quality patient care available.
In Brooklyn, there are more fatalities due to breast cancer than any other type of cancer. At the Breast Imaging Center we are committed to offering expert care and treatment to the women of our community. Our board certified Radiologists work closely with fellowship trained oncologists, surgeons and radiation oncologists, to provide the best multidisciplinary care and individualized treatment possible.
Diagnostic and Treatment Services:
- Full-Field Digital Mammography and Breast Ultrasound — A Powerful Combination
- Full-field digital mammography is an advanced imaging technology capable of revealing very small masses in the breast. Not all abnormalities are dangerous, your physician may request a breast ultrasound to distinguish whether an abnormality is cystic (fluid filled) or solid. Many cysts are benign.
- Minimally Invasive Biopsy Services — An image-guided biopsy allows your doctor to obtain a sample of breast tissue without surgery. The two leading types of minimally invasive biopsy are:
- Stereotactic Biopsy takes breast images at various angles to generate a three-dimensional image for plotting the exact position of the suspicious mass, and for guiding the placement of a biopsy needle. This technology can pinpoint extremely small abnormalities.
- Ultrasound-Guided Biopsy uses inaudible, high-frequency sound waves, creating images of the breast that guide the radiologist’s instruments to the site of concern.