Fall 2018, TBHC received the highest grade “A” for patient safety from the prestigious Leapfrog Group. TBHC is one of two hospitals in all of New York City to get an “A” and is the only A-rated hospital in Brooklyn. In fact, only 8 percent of hospitals in the entire State of New York received this highest grade.
The Leapfrog Group is a national nonprofit healthcare ratings organization that grades approximately 2,500 hospitals across the country on how well they keep patients safe from harm. Developed under the guidance of a Blue Ribbon National Expert Panel, the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade uses multiple measures of hospital safety data to assign letter grades to hospitals twice per year.
This ‘A’ is the culmination of a story several years in the making. TBHC invested millions of dollars to hire top doctors and specialists who created new approaches to care and ensured a quality environment for patients. Among the changes TBHC made and planned are:
- A new critical care initiative that improved outcomes for the sickest patients. The Center for Critical Care meets and exceeds the standards endorsed by the Leapfrog Group and all ICUs are compliant with those high standards.
- The launch of the Epic electronic medical record, which provides better coordination of care.
- A $23 million transformation grant to renovate the Emergency Department, beginning early 2019.
- A renovation plan for TBHC’s Downtown Brooklyn campus.
- An expansion of the hospital’s ambulatory network into the surrounding communities.
Focused efforts have led to many other national recognitions, as well, including those shown here at the bottom.